The Business Administration Scale for Family Child Care (BAS) is a reliable and easy-to-administer tool for measuring the overall quality of business and professional practices in family child care settings. Providers use the information from the BAS to learn about the quality of their practices and take action toward positive change.
WHAT THE BAS MEASURES
The BAS measures business and professional practices, reflecting the growing professional consensus that the quality of family child care is determined by more than a provider’s nurturing heart and caring interactions with children.
The BAS measures quality on a 7-point scale in 10 items:
- Qualifications and Professional Development
- Income and Benefits
- Work Environment
- Fiscal Management
- Risk Management
- Provider-Parent Communication
- Community Resources
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Provider as Employer
WHO CAN THE BAS HELP?
You will find the Business Administration Scale for Family Child Care useful if you are a:
- Provider needing a framework to structure your own program improvement efforts
- Technical assistance specialist, consultant, or mentor working with providers to measure and benchmark quality improvements
- College instructor looking for a broad overview of effective business and professional practices
- Researcher or program evaluator measuring and monitoring program quality
- Policymaker promoting accountability in family child care programs
Is your work with center-based programs? Learn about the Program Administration Scale (PAS).
ORDERING YOUR COPY
The BAS is available in English or Spanish through New Horizons or Teachers College Press.
TRAINING ON THE BAS
- Choose from our many upcoming BAS trainings.
View calendar — OR —
- Request tailored training delivered on-site at your organization.
BAS ASSESSOR CERTIFICATION
Is your goal is to understand the BAS at a deeper level or to administer the tools reliably in your state or region? If so, assessor certification is for you. Learn more