The Program Administration Scale (PAS) is a valid and reliable instrument designed to measure the leadership and management practices of early childhood programs. The PAS provides valuable information to directors about the quality of their administrative practices and can be used as a springboard for program improvement efforts.
WHAT THE PAS MEASURES
The PAS measures quality on a 7-point scale in 25 items clustered in 10 subscales:
- Human Resources Development
- Personnel Cost and Allocation
- Center Operations
- Child Assessment
- Fiscal Management
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Family Partnerships
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Staff Qualifications
WHO CAN THE PAS HELP?
The PAS is appropriate for the full range of center-based programs—nonprofit and for-profit, part-day and full-day, Head Start, faith-based, and corporate-sponsored. The PAS can help you if you are a:
- Center director or manager needing a framework to structure their own program improvement efforts
- Technical assistance specialist, consultant, or mentor working with directors to measure and benchmark quality improvements
- College instructor looking for a broad overview of effective organizational practices
- Researcher or program evaluator measuring and monitoring program quality
- Policymaker promoting accountability in early care and education programs
Is your work in family child care? Learn about the Business Administration Scale for Family Child Care (BAS).
ORDERING YOUR COPY
The PAS is available for purchase through New Horizons or Teachers College Press. Order now
TRAINING ON THE PAS
- Choose from our many upcoming PAS trainings.
View calendar — OR —
- Request customized to meet your needs and delivered on-site at your organization.
PAS ASSESSOR CERTIFICATION
Is your goal is to understand the PAS at a deeper level or to administer the tools reliably in your state or region? If so, assessor certification is for you. Learn more